Last month, the C3 Women In Clean Energy Initiative awarded Clean Energy Education and Empowerment (C3E) Awards to ten mid-career women who have demonstrated leadership and high achievement in the field of clean energy. Gina McCarthy, managing co-chair of America Is All In, former White House National Climate Advisor, and former U.S. EPA Administrator, was recognized as the C3E Lifetime Achievement Honoree for her long history of clean energy leadership. The Awards were part of the 12th Annual C3E Women in Clean Energy Symposium hosted this year by the MIT Energy Initiative (MITEI). The C3E Initiative is led by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) in collaboration with MITEI, Stanford Energy, and Texas A&M Energy Institute.
The C3E Award winners are an impressive group of women who are making a difference in the field of clean energy, while serving as mentors for others. The C3E mid-career Award winners are an impressive group of women making a difference in advocacy, business, education, entrepreneurship, finance, government, international initiatives, law, social, economic, & policy innovation, and technology research & innovation. Recognizing their leadership and achievements promotes career advancement, inspires others to support and recognize women who are contributing to the clean energy field, and helps women of all ages envision themselves growing their careers in these sectors.
“DOE is proud to recognize this year’s C3E Awardees, a group of innovators and trailblazers bringing unique perspectives and game-changing ideas to the fight for an equitable clean energy future,” said U.S. Secretary of Energy Jennifer M. Granholm. “Whether leading global research into groundbreaking new discoveries or championing environmental justice, these inspirational women are expanding our understanding of the clean energy transition and driving transformative breakthroughs across America’s economy.”
- Advocacy — Jameka Hodnett, Chief Program Officer, The Chisholm Legacy Project
- Business — Raisa Lee, Director of Project Development, Clearway Energy Group
- Education — Evangelina Galvan Shreeve, Chief Diversity Officer, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Entrepreneurship — Piper Foster Wilder -Founder and CEO, 60 Hertz Energy
- Finance — Erin Davis, Co-Founder, Enduring Planet
- Government – Leuwam Tesfai - Deputy Executive Director for Energy and Climate Policy, California Public Utilities Commission
- International — Elizabeth (Lizzie) Biney-Amissah, Independent Board Director, Beacon Services Power
- Law — Melinda Baglio, General Counsel, Clean Capital
- Social, Economic, and Policy Innovation — Jacquie Ashmore, Executive Vice President of Engineering, New Leaf Energy
- Technology Research & Innovation — Jie Xiao, Battelle Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Lifetime Achievement — Gina McCarthy